Key Agenda Items
1. The HISD Board should use the recommendations from the Legislative Budget Board (LBB) report to guide their budget priorities and governance for the upcoming school year. The Board received an update from administration about the status of implementations at the January board meeting. The Board plans to discuss recommendations items that require Board action and reflection at the February meeting.
2. HISD should start identifying teachers and principals for the next school year to ensure there are no teacher or administrative vacancies. It should be utilizing the teacher pipelines, such as Teach Forward Houston, so every student will have a teacher for all of their classes before the start of the 2020 – 2021 school year.
3. Last June, the HISD Board had to convene for a last-minute special meeting to pass a budget for the 2019 – 2020 school year. In order to prevent another last-minute budget vote next summer, the HISD Board needs to collaboratively and collectively set its budget priorities so the administration can create a budget proposal based on those priorities. The HSID school board needs to map out their priorities and the process for creating the budget based on the LBB analysis of the various programs that were implemented last year.
4. The HISD Board should terminate their legal actions against the TEA. The Board is using taxpayers’ dollars from unassigned funds, running HISD into a deeper deficit, to pay for their lawyers. So far, the Board has accrued a $239,863.46 bill for their lawyers, which ONLY covers April 2019 through November 2019.
5. The Houston ISD Board of Education should be editing the language and changes of their in-district charter agreements. If the policies are set at the beginning of the year, the Board should be able to accept charter agreements by the end of the calendar year and approve them in January, avoiding the potential of closing a school in April or May.
6. The HISD Board should look into partnerships for HISD schools that may be Improvement Required (IR) in the following year. According to the TEA, this process should have started in November. The final deadline for submission is at the end of March.