*More details on each item can be found below this list
- (J.2 and J.3) Staffing Reductions Due To $200 Million Budget Cuts
- (K.2) Limitations to Public Participation at School Board Meetings
- (I.4) Adjustment to Midyear Budget Report Due to Increased Deficit
- (J.1) Legal Services for District
- (D.1) Donations Greater Than $5,000 for HISD
- (D.2) Grants Greater Than $5,000 for HISD
- (I.1) District Vendors with Contracts Greater Than $100,000
J.2 and J.3
Term Contract Employment Areas (J.2) and Continuing Contract Teaching Fields (J.3) For Reduction In Force
(IMPACT, EQUITY, STEWARDSHIP, LEADERSHIP)
District staffing at schools and at central office will be impacted by the $200 budget cut in 2018-2019. Additionally, there is an anticipated reduction in revenues because of Hurricane Harvey. The superintendent recommends that the Board approve the separation from employment due to lack of funds for certain term contract employees (J.2) and for certain continuing contract employees (J.3) for the following reasons:
- Change in campus staffing/funding models
- Loss of revenues due to an anticipated decline in property values resulting from Hurricane Harvey
- Anticipated low enrollments for the 2018-2019 school year at certain campuses
- Recommended program changes related to the need to improve and/or meet academic needs on some campuses and in some departments
- Recommended reorganizations based on the needs of the department or campus, including budget adjustments
- Recapture of district funds necessitating campus and/or departmental reduction in staff
Proposed Revisions to Board Policy on Board Meetings: Public Participation – First Reading
The time limit a speaker may speak will be limited to one minute for Hearing of Citizens and to two minutes for agenda items. Registered speakers previously had three minutes to speak for Hearing of Citizens and for agenda items. If a speaker is registered to speak on multiple agenda items and for Hearing of Citizens, then the speaker will be given a total of two minutes to speak. Previously, if a speaker is registered to speak on multiple agenda items and for Hearing of Citizens, then the speaker had five minutes to speak.
Other agenda items to be voted on during the meeting:
- (B.1) The Board must be given approval to appoint trustees to serve as representatives to various internal and external organizations for one- or two-year terms.
- (E.1 and E.2) The Board needs to approve the renewal of two contracts with Harris County Protective Services for Children and Adults for the Community Youth Services program (CYS) – one contract with Meyerland Performing and Visual Arts MS (E.1) and another contract with Park Place ES (E.2). CYS will provide a youth services specialist to Meyerland Performing and Visual Arts MS and Park Place ES.
- (H.1) The Board must authorize the Superintendent to negotiate, execute, and amend a contraction manager-at-risk contract for Braeburn ES, Jennie Kolter ES, James Mitchell ES, and Walter Scarborough ES.
- (I.2) The Board must approve the Resolution and Ordinance adopting a 20% penalty under Section 33.08 of the Texas Property Tax Code on tax year 2017 delinquent property taxes.
- (I.3) The Board must 1) approve the order authorizing the issuance, sale, and delivery of HISD Limited Tax Schoolhouse Bonds, Series 2018A, 2) approve the superintendent, CFO, or controller to determine the manner of sale and select the underwriting team and to sell the bonds subject to stated parameters, and 3) authorize all other necessary actions for the sale of bonds.
- (J.4) The Board must approve the adoption of the resolution to waive work days missed and to pay employees for the missed work days on January 16, 2018 and January 17, 2018 as a result of the inclement weather closure of HISD.