Board of Education Meeting Agenda
March 12, 2020
Key Agenda Items:
- (A.2) Approval of the Board Monitoring Update (Goal 1 Progress Measure 1, Goal 3 Progress Measure 1 and 2)
- (B.1) Board’s Time Use Tracker For January and February 2020
- (D.1) Recommended Instructional Materials for 2020 – 2021
- (I.1) Vendor Awards for Purchases over $100,000
- (I.2) Donations for Districtwide and School-Specific Programs
- (I.3) Grant Funds in Support of Districtwide and School-Specific Programs
Impact (I), Leadership (L), Equity (E), Stewardship (S), Collaboration (C)
A.2 Approval of the Board Monitoring Update (Goal 1 Progress Measure 1, Goal 3 Progress Measure 1 and 2) (I)
The Board must approve the board monitoring update for Goal 1 Progress Measure 1 and Goal 3 Progress Measure 1 and 2.
Goal 1 states “The percentage of students reading and writing at or above grade level as measured by the percent of students at the Meets Grade Level standard on STAAR for grade 3 through English II shall increase by three percentage points annually from 37% to 46% between spring 2017 and spring 2020.”
Goal 3 states “Among students who exhibit below satisfactory performance on state assessments, the percentage who demonstrate at least one year of academic growth, as measured by the STAAR Progress Measure, shall increase three percentage points annually in reading and in math from 57 percent in spring 2017 to 66 percent in spring 2020.”
B.1 Board’s Time Use Tracker For January and February 2020 (L)
The Board must approve the Board Time Use Tracker for January and February 2020 to be in compliance with the Lone Star Governance continuous improvement timeline.
D.1 Recommended Instructional Materials for 2020 – 2021 (I)
The Board must approve the recommended instructional materials for the 2020 – 2021 school year. This is specifically for high school English language arts and reading classes and English as a second language classes. The recommendations are made by the Instructional Materials Allotment Team (IMAT), which reviews State Board of Education requirements and district priorities when making selections.
I.1 Vendor Awards for Purchases over $100,000 (S, L)
The Board needs to approve vendor awards greater than $100,000 and ratify vendor awards under $100,000.
List of Vendors: Hercules Achievement Inc, dba Herff Jones LLC; Southern Floral Company; The French Corner Catering; Deli Management Inc, dba Jason’s Deli; Freeman Decorating Co., dba Freeman Expositions, LLC dba Freeman; BDO USA, LLP; Deloitte & Touche, LLP; Horn Solutions, Inc.; McConnell & Jones, LLP; Postlethwaite and Netterville, APAC; Whitley Penn, LLP; Weaver and Tidwell, LLP; Brink’s Inc.; Arthur J. Gallagher Risk Management Services Inc.; Skyline Equipment Inc.; All in Learning; WRM dba Southwaste Disposal LLC; Fireton, Inc; IA Lodging Houston Galleria TRS, L.P., dba Westin Houston Galleria Hotel; APC Brands dba American Parks Company; Lone Star Recreation of Texas, LLC; May Recreation Equipment & Design, LP; PlayPower LT Farmington, Inc.; Pinnacle Medical Management; Cherish Our Children Inc. dba No More Victims; Renika Atkins DBA Resources Inspiring Success and Empowering.
I.2 Donations for Districtwide and School-Specific Programs (S, L)
All donations greater than $5,000 must be approved by the HISD Board of Education.To see the full list of vendors, visit our website.
List of donors: Alliantgroup via The HISD Foundation; HSPVA Friends; Joseph Francis; Luis Lebron; Texas A&M University; Travis ES PTA; T.H. Rogers PTO; Wharton Dual Language Academy PTO.
I.3 Grant Funds in Support of Districtwide and School-Specific Programs (S, L)
All grant funds greater than $5,000 must be approved by the HISD Board of Education. To see the full list of vendors, visit our website.
List of grantors: Good Reason Houston; Hanban; U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Healthy Tomorrows Partnership for Children Program.
Other agenda items to be voted on during the meeting:
- (A.1) Approval of personal services performed by the Superintendent.
- (H.1) Approval to negotiate a construction contract for a funning track at Lawson MS.
- (H.2) Approval to negotiate a construction contract for athletic upgrades at Sterling HS.
- (H.3) Approval to negotiate an agreement with the SPARK Program for construction of SPARK Parks at Anderson ES, Arabic Immersion Magnet School, Braeburn ES, Carrillo ES, Franklin ES, Montgomery ES, and Jane Long Academy.
- (I.4) Approval for the purchase of property insurance and authority to negotiate the purchase of $250M of property insurance coverage.